Today I have installed windows 8 beside windows 7 on my laptop in a VHD file..
Here is a STEP by STEP Guide to what I have done.
There are several ways to install multi OSs,
the easiest way is to simply install the 2nd OS from inside the 1st one on another partition BUT there is a chance for any of them to mess with the other one’s files ..
another way is to install the 2nd one inside virtual machine using virtual PC/VM ware or any other VM Software BUT this won’t give us full hardware performance on the guest machine …
In order to get full hardware access and performance … and don’t let any OS mess with the other.. We will install the OS on VHD file and boot from it.
- Download “Windows 8″ iso file
Download it from this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 OR here is a link for Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)
- Download Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool from this link (this is a tool by MS to make bootable Flashdisk or DVD out of ISO files, Released for users who purchase windows online from windows store)
- Get a 8.5 Double layer DVD or 16 GB Flash disk
- Creating Bootable Flashdisk / DVD
- start installing Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool
- in the installation process you will pass throught four steps
- First: Selecting ISO File (select the ISO file u just downloaded in the prerequisists)
- Second: Choose DVD or USB Device , the media you want to put the installation files on.
- Third: Select the Flash memory partition OR the DVD Drive.
- Fourth: Wait for Formatting / installation on your media (~10 minutes)
- Making a VHD – Virtual Hard Disk – File
- Open up CMD -commmand prompet- with Admin Preveligde
- Run MS diskPart tool by writing “diskpart” and hit enter
- create a VHD File on the windows by the following command
DISKPART> create vdisk file=d:\Windows8Dev.vhd type=expandable maximum=50000
Note: your can change “d:\Windows8Dev.vhd” to your preferred directory and 50000 to a diffrenet size (but not less than 30000 -30GB-)
- select the VHD you just created
DISKPART> select vdisk file=d:\Windows8Dev.vhd
- Now attach that VHD to windows
DISKPART> attach vdisk
- Create a primary partition on it
DISKPART> create partition primary
- Booting from Flash memory / DVD and Proceed to the installtion process of windows 8
- Restart your computer and change your boot order to the flashdisk/dvd
- once you computer starts installing windows 8, Press SHIFT + F10, you will get a CMD window
- Write the 2 commands commands of selecting and attaching the vhd
DISKPART> select vdisk file=d:\Windows8Dev.vhd
- Once you reach the Partition selection window “Where do you want to install windows ?”
You will find another Disk with 1 partition in the partitions list (with the size you have made in the first step)
- Choose that partition, and proceed the normal installation process of windows.
- After installation process, you will find a boot menu consists of 2 items “Windows Developer Preview” and “Windows 7”
- inside windows 8 there is an extra partition C, this is the emulated partition of VHD
- inside windows 7: your normal partitions without any extras, the file at d:\Windows8Dev.vhd will be about ~10 GB at first installation.
If you have ACER’s I5 TravelMate 8472
with the annoying $ & € keys beside up arrow key,
and it always happen to click it accidentally when clicking left arrow or right arrow.
I have made a registry file that will remap your $ to be right arrow and € to left arrow.
Download link: http://www.4shared.com/file/Wj24_NTW/Remapping_DollarSign_to_RightA.html
Run the file, then restart your computer 🙂
Here is step by step guide that will help you upgrade (install) your blackberry operating system without having active subscription (BIS):
note: I upgraded from v.4.6 to v5.0 on my 8900, and I was running windows 7.
Please follow exactly these steps to get it working …
1. the device software (OS): you can download it from Blackberry software website.
(Note: If you need input languages support other that English, you need to get a multilingual package. here is a version 5 one.)
2. In case you need to backup your device before installation.. download Blackberry desktop software.
1. (optional) Backup all you contacts / MSGs/ etc… using blackberry desktop software.
2. UNINSTALL all programs related to RIM including Desktop manager,
and make sure nothing left related to it in your program files folder and in common files (\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion).
then restart your windows.
3. after windows starts up, Install the device software you downloaded in the first step in requirements part.
4. Remove VENDOR.XML from ApplLoader Folder located in (\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader).
5. PlugIn your blackberry to the computer using USB Cable and Remove the Batter and the SIM Card from the blackberry.
Now Focus in the coming 2 steps, cuz you have to fast ( and don’t plug out the USB cable !! ):
6. Open AppLoader folder and keep it opened.
7. Insert the battery back to the blackberry [the LED Light will turn RED]
–NOW-Run the Loader.exe from the AppLoader folder before the RED light goes away.
8. In the application, you will see that your device found But with Unknown PIN… Press Next and start the sofware scanning.
9. Follow the installation process and choose all modules you need =)
after installation … Wait and mmmmmmm Wait, Because it will take alot of time to bootup your blackberry for the first time.
1o (optional) Install the desktop software and restore important personal data you backed up in the first step.
Don’t restore all settings cuz some settings might be not compatible with the new version just do with important stuff only.
Finally .. you are done :=D